Saturday, December 5, 2009

My New Shoes


I learned a valuable lesson about buying new running shoes with my last two purchases. In August a bought a new version of shoe I had been wearing. I had been running in the V and bought the VI. The V was very responsive neutral shoe that I had started wearing earlier in the year and bought a few times as needed. When I went to get a new pair in August I shopped on line to save a few bucks but could not find any V's so I went with the new and improved VI. I thought the VI would be like the V but better. Well, what I found out was that the only thing the V and VI had in common was that they were both neutral running shoes. Everything else was different, but I spent the money so I had to wear them until I wore them out.

I was out on a run a few weeks ago and felt pretty beat up. My knees and ankles hurt and I just felt like crap so I decided it was time for new shoes and this time I would do it right. I would go to Tri Running and Walking and try on shoes until I found the right pair. The new owner of the store told me to try on as many shoes as I needed to find the right pair and I like that. You don't get that when you go to Dick's, Foot Lock or the other chain stores. They are not going to let you put on the shoes you are interested in and go for a run around the mall. I guess you could try it but I am not sure the end result (getting arrested for theft) is what you are looking for. I did stop into another local running store and got the hard sales tactic from guy working on the floor so I left. When you buy shoes you need to have a good selection to chose from and work with a store that will let you take a quick run to get a feel for what you are about to spend $90 to $130 on. I tried on about five different shoes and took each pair for a test drive up Rt 96 in Victor to make sure I had the right shoe. The net net is that I found a new shoe that is the best shoe I have ever run in. I'll stop now because this is not an advertisement for Tri Running and Walking, but I do recommend the store to any runner.

The moral of the story is when you find a pair of running shoes you love buy them until you can't find them anymore. When it is time to try a new running shoe you need to take the time to sit down with an expert and try on shoe until you find the right pair. If you don't you could end up like me. You will end up running in shoes you hate for the next three months.

Now that I have the right shoe I look forward to running. I even feel a little faster but that is most likely all in my head. I am sure the reason I feel faster is because I feel more comfortable in my new shoes and as a result I am in a better state of mind.

If you are getting out there and running keep it up. If you are not then it is time to get out of your chair and get started. Challenge yourself to run a race this year. I guarantee you will be hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment